Tuesday, 8 January 2008

Long time

Somebody pointed out to me recently that I hadn't posted for a while so I decided that it was necessary to try and get back to posting regularly.

Since I moved into my flat, I've been kitting it out with all the necessities - mainly kitchen equipment.

Anyway, the first people I decided to entertain were my parents. I didn't got to them for the Christmas Break this year so they came up on Boxing day (for non-Brits - Boxing day is the 26th December normally) as I'd had Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off it was easy to prepare, I cooked a whole chicken, roast potatoes and vegetables and bough a melon for Hors d'œuvre, and bought a cake for dessert. My mum also brought mince pies.

I'd also bought a bottle of my favourite wine and I finally got to use my dining table properly. Tea/Supper was at my sisters.

Early the next morning it was off to JLGB Senior Winter Camp (for the ninth year in a row). The coach was due at 8.30 a.m. However, it was due to leave Gants Hill (Ilford) at 8.00 a.m. so 8.30 a.m. was extremely optimistic, I was extremely surprised when it turned up just 15 minutes late.

This year I didn't have a Platoon, I was awards officer so I could have a lie-in most mornings. The first morning I was on duty at 7.15 a.m. for four hours but this wasn't a problem.

This camp had two memorable things - first was the Fire alarm that went off once the kids were in bed. Second was the number of staff - well over 70 which was a first at least in my memory for a Winter camp. It was the largest Winter Camp for 15 years with over 250 people.

My role really came into it's own on the last day, unfortunately, I woke up, rushed to the toilet and promptly threw up. I'd come down with the Norovirus along with a few other members of staff and some of the children. I never had it formally diagnosed but I had all the symptoms. I fortunately seemed to have a fairly good time but other people were far worse than I was. I had to work that day so after getting a little more sleep, I got up and started to collate the scores. I also had to go through the nominations for Camp Awards with The Adjutant.

After the Mess (Staff) Dinner I went straight back to bed and slept right through the New Year. Last time I was not awake for the New Year was probably over 20 years ago. However, I needed the sleep.

I was still ill on New Year's Day but the symptoms were lessening. I took the day off to camp off (as normal) but went in on the third of January. Once in work I discovered that the advice after suffering with the virus is to leave 48 hours between the end of symptoms and working which I had not.

I finally started work properly this week and tonight I start with a new Brigade company at Southgate. It is slightly amusing because my first company in London was Southgate Juniors. I moved because:

a) Hendon Bugle Band had more staff than it needed and I was sometimes not needed,
b) Southgate Company is understaffed for the number of children it currently has
c) Southgate Company also has a relatively inexperienced officer so I'm there to provide extra support

No comments: