Thursday, 11 June 2009

Tube strike

The tube strike currently in London is a complete joke.

Although I'm working from home today, yesterday I had to go in as I was presenting the finance figures to the Senior Management Team. I left home over two hours before I normally do. I then discovered the tube was running from my local station, although I couldn't take the final leg by tube, it still only took me 10 minutes longer then normal and consequently I was in work before 8 a.m. I am so thankful that I work flexitime.

A tube strike where over half the network is running is not "paralysing" London and obviously means that nearly all the ASLEF drivers are working (make up 40%) of all drivers and a number of RMT members are not striking.

The RMT's demands are frankly outrageous:

a. 5% pay rise
b. A reduction in hours without loss of pay
c. No compulsory redundancies
d. And reinstatement of a driver who flouted safety rules (allegedly a close friend of Bob Crow).

We are in the middle of a recession, inflation is in negative figures, a 5% pay rise is frankly unrealistic.

As for reinstating a driver who flouted safety rules, considering they've gone on strike over safety rules in the past, it is the height of hypocrisy.

No comments: