Monday, 3 September 2012

Olympic and Paralympic games

As I'm sure everybody knows London has been hosting the Olympic and Paralympic games this summer.

I've been to one Olympic event and two Paralympic events (so far, still two more to go). Venues vary but none (so far) have had a hearing loop. Very poor show especially for (in the main) newly built venues. What annoys me is not that they have none but that I specified when I applied for the tickets that I was deaf/hard-of-hearing.

I went to Olympic volleyball at Earl's Court Convention Centre, no complaints about the seat locations, happy with those , just very little leg room, however, not LOCOG's fault as it was an existing venue.

Went to the Olympic stadium on Saturday evening, definitely no complaints about the seat, front row of the top tier, perfect view, a little more leg room than Earl's Court.

Went to the Aquatics centre on Sunday evening, seats were OK, no issue with leg room as the tiers are so steep. However, what they don't tell you is that there's the equivalent of about five/six storeys of steps upwards just o get into the main venue and then another storey or so of very steep steps to get to our seats. However, as the wings are a temporary structure it's almost forgivable. 

I have further tickets for the Equestrian events and Wheelchair Basketball later this week. Never been to the Dome before so looking forward to it, just a little wary about the Equestrian events as

What I will say is that even with a hearing loss, the atmosphere in all the venues was incredible. LOCOG have done a very good job and all the doom and gloom merchants have been proved wrong.

No comments: