Sunday, 1 April 2007

Another 2 days in sunny Arizona (and footie)

Yesterday was interesting.

We went to Glendale which is supposed to be the Antiques centre of Phoenix. I suppose if you call assorted bric-a-brac : "antiques" then it was accurate. However, it was nice, well-kept and quiet area, so it was just nice to wander round.

There was one shop which I really liked , it was full of old dresses, bags and mainly women's stuff, however, it had some very funny noticed up and a list entitled "The World's Thinnest Books". These included the following
  • Things I can't afford by Bill Gates
  • What I like about Bill by Hilary Clinton
  • The Amish Telephone directory
  • How to build an Aeroplane by John Denver
  • My Plan to Find the Real Killers by O. J. Simpson
  • Things I Would Not Do for Money by Dennis Rodman
  • The Wild Years by Al Gore
  • Amelia Earhart's Guide to the Pacific Ocean
  • Everything Women Know about Men
  • To All the Men I've Loved Before by Ellen DeGeneres
  • Mike Tyson's Guide to Dating Etiquette
  • My Book of Morals by Bill Clinton, with a new introduction by Rev. Jesse Jackson
Then we went to a mall, mainly because none of us brought enough clothes with to last us until the end of the holiday. My favourite clothes store in the USA is "Old Navy", they're part of the Gap Group and they sell good quality clothes at fairly low prices so I bought a few T-shirts,a pair of shorts and even a formal shirt. It was then back to the hotel for a quick soak in the hot-tub and a swim.

Today was our first proper trip outside Phoenix, we drove toward Tuscon and visited Biosphere 2, which since my university qualifications are in Biological Sciences has long held an interest for me, now it's open to the public and just over 100 miles from our hotel it seemed too good an opportunity to pass up.

On a slightly separate note I'm glad to see that we thrashed Arsenal 4-1, it sort of makes up for them dumping us out of both domestic cups. However, we're now above them in the league with a superior goal difference, we're still in the Champions league and all they have to aim for now is precisely nothing because there is no difference between finishing 3rd or 4th in the League, and Bolton are 5 points behind Arsenal and unlikely to catch them. Will ARSEne Whinger be out of a job at the end of the season?

We can still win the European Cup (again) and before telling me we can't - they said the same in the 2004-05 season and anyone who knows anything about football knows what happened.

I apologise for the lack of photo's from the holiday, but I can't download them here. so I promise a few once I'm back, unless of course one of the hotels I'm staying in has the capability and I get a chance.

No comments: