Whilst I'd agree that most public transport outside London (with a few exceptions) is shocking, I must take exception with the opinion that London's public transport system is bad.
We have the Underground system (including the Docklands Light Railway - DLR), which is the largest in the World and is being expanded as we speak.
We have an extensive bus system which has become more regular with more buses in recent months.
We have the National Rail lines in and around London.
And recently TfL (Tranport for London) has taken over the North London Line giving us the Overground trains.
Whilst I disagree with Ken Livingstone on a lot of issues he has improved public transport in London.
As a regular user of the Underground, buses and National Rail lines I have definite views:
1. As a whole the Tube is far better than it's detractors give it credit for. I've rarely experienced a delay on my most regular journey (Jubilee Line), even when severe delays were cited at my starting station the journey was only five minutes longer than normal (20 rather than 15). The information given about other lines is clear and concise and the boards at stations are kept up-to-date on a regular basis giving information to passengers wher they might encounter problems.
2. The whole ssytem works well so when one route is blocked another is available. For example on 7 July 2005 (7/7 terror attacks on London) it only took me 15 minutes longer to get home than normal despite the fact there were no National Rail or Tube services running (took two buses).
Tuesday, 6 March 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment